What is Peer Mediation?
Peer Mediation provides a guided process for peaceful conflict resolution. As its name implies, peers of the disputants conduct the mediation. The disputing parties resolve their own disputes and create their own solutions. The trained mediators act as neutral third parties to help the participants reach a mutually fair and reasonable agreement.
What types of disputes can be mediated?
- School rumors/gossip
- Social networking
- Dissolution of friendships
- Property theft
- Confrontations that result from differences in race, culture, etc.
What are the advantages of Peer Mediating?
- Resolution of minor disputes that interfere with education process
- Stronger sense of cooperation and school community
- Development of communication and leadership skills
- Reduced suspensions and overall decrease in disciplinary measures
- Reduced tension and hostility